The perfect chili recipe to share with friends and family. Easy to customize and make your own.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
One thing I love when the air gets crisp and cool and the leaves start to change color is none other than a thick, spicy bowl of chili! I’m a fan of a strong chili powder and cumin flavor in my chili recipe, but I also love to stir in different ingredients to give my chili the same general consistency and flavor, with a little variety each time.
Today I’m sharing my basic chili recipe with all of you. This is a recipe that has won me the hearts of chili fans all over, as well as top praise at chili contests (among my co workers, at least).
Thick and Spicy Chili Recipe
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 oz jug tomato juice, (V8, low sodium, etc is good to use too)
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp seasoning salt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- dash salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Brown hamburger in a large pot; drain grease. Stir in chopped onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently until onion becomes translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for at least 30 min to let flavors mingle. For a thicker more flavorful chili, let simmer for several hours before serving.
Chili Stir In Ideas
- peppers of all varieties: green, yellow, red, orange, jalapeno, habanero, anything you want!
- If you don’t like beans or want to cut down on them, try adding diced potatoes. They have a similar texture and taste delicious in the tomato broth.
- liquid smoke
- brown sugar
- pineapple, to sweeten it up a bit (add towards the end of cook time)
- lime juice
- beef bullion
- bay leaf
- diced celery, celery salt and/or celery seed
- hot pepper sauce
- cocoa powder
- horseradish sauce
- If you like a thinner soup stir in water or broth
- rice or barley
- Use steak instead of ground burger
- Use ground turkey or pork
- Don’t forget chicken!
Perfect Chili Pairings
Check your fridge and pantry for some of these ingredients to partner up with your chili.
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Diced Onions
- Corn Bread
- Flaxseed Bread
- Top hot dogs for chili dogs
- Dip corn dogs in it
- Eat on tortillas
- Serve with cheese sticks for dipping
- crackers of many varieties
- Serve on top of fries, tater tots or corn chips
- Stir in macaroni noodles for chili mac
Looking for something a little different? Try one of these recipes.