Some of my favorite fall flavors include apples, bread pudding, and salted caramel. I figured why not combine them all into the ultimate bread pudding. So, that’s what I did and that’s what I’m sharing with you today!
Salted Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
Many of these ingredients you probably already have around the house. You’ll need 10 cups of bread, cubed. 2.5 cups of heavy cream, 2.5 cups of milk, 9 large egg yolks, 3/4 cup of sugar, then an additional 1 tablespoon reserved. 4 teaspoons of vanilla, 2 tablespoons of salted butter, melted, 2 medium to large apples, 1 teaspoon of sea salt, 1/2 cup of salted caramel sauce, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (which I forgot to add to the ingredients image, so don’t forget it!).
First spread the cubed bread onto a couple of rimmed baking sheets. I used an Italian bread loaf this time, but you can do just about any kind of bread. Play around with different bakery loaves to see which kind is your favorite with this recipe. Toast the bread in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring or tossing the bread approximately every 5 minutes until the cubes are dry.
While I’m waiting for the bread to toast I also like to peel and dice the apples. They didn’t start to turn brown for me this time, but if you’re worried about the color you can always place your diced apples in some water that has some citric acid powder in it.
Around this point your bread should be toasted well. Remove it from the oven and let it cool. Reserve two cups of the toasted bread cubes in a separate bowl for later.
Now you can start really putting the bread pudding together. First whisk the egg yolks, salt (keep the sea salt reserved for later), vanilla and sugar. I like to whisk it until the sugar granules dissolve and the color of the mixture turns a lighter yellow than what it started as.
When you’re done soaking the bread cubes in the custard mix pour the two cups of reserved bread cubes over the top to form a crust and gently press them into the mixture. Brush the melted butter over the unsoaked cubes. Bake for approximately 40 minutes at 325.
Remove the dish from the oven and set it on a wire rack to cool. At this time drizzle the salted caramel sauce over the top and sprinkle with the sea salt. Don’t forget to heat up your caramel sauce if you need to. Some harden in the refrigerator, especially the one I used in my recipe.
Salted Caramel Apple Bread Pudding Recipe
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3/4 cup + additional 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 10 cups cubed bread
- 2 medium to large apples peeled and diced
- 9 large egg yolks
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp salted butter melted
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup Salted Caramel Sauce (my recipe (here |https://livingasunshinelife.com/the-best-salted-caramel-sauce-recipe-ever/))
- Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread bread cubes evenly over 2 rimmed baking sheets and toast for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring or tossing every 5 min or so until dry. Meanwhile combine the brown sugar and 1 tbsp of granulated sugar in a small bowl and set aside. Make sure apples are peeled and diced, set aside.
- Once bread cubes are toasted allow to cool. Reserve 2 cups of bread cubes and set aside.
- Whisk eggs, 3/4 cup of sugar, vanilla and salt in a large bowl until combined.
- Whisk in milk and cream until combined to make a custard mix.
- Add in 8 cups of toasted bread cubes and diced apples to the custard mix. Press bread cubes down to soak in the mixture then pour mixture into a 9X13 baking dish and let soak for 30 minutes. Press bread cubes into the mixture occasionally.
- Spread the reserved 2 cups of toasted bread cubes over the top of the custard mix in the baking dish. Gently press down into the custard. Brush the melted butter over the unsoaked cubes. Bake for 40 min at 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from oven and top with salted caramel sauce and sprinkle 1 tsp of sea salt over the dish. Allow to cool before serving.
- Serve with additional salted caramel sauce if desired.
This Salted Caramel Apple Bread Pudding is the perfect flavor to give me my own personal welcome to Fall.