I love it when peppers are on sale! It means I get to create some fantastic pepper recipes and share them with you!
This recipe is great because it’s easy to customize based on what you have on hand or what’s on sale. Around here peppers can get quite pricy so it’s nice to know if you only want to use green peppers you can. If red peppers are the only one’s on sale, grab those!
Personally I prefer the visual of having several different colors of peppers in my dish. It’s like a rainbow on my plate!
I used andouille sausage for this recipe, however if you’d rather use a different kind of sausage go for it. I love the flavor of this sausage so it’s become a favorite for any sausage and peppers recipe I make.
Also, if you don’t want to include the chicken you can leave that out as well, however I just like the variety. I could also see this being fantastic by adding in some grilled shrimp.
This recipe is fantastic served as is, or on top of pasta, rice, or right alongside burgers and brats for a backyard BBQ.
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 lb Andouille Sausage, cut into 1 in pieces
- 1 lb chicken, cut into 1 in pieces
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 orange pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 c chicken broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp hot sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in large skillet on med high heat, add sausage and chicken, cook for approximately 2 to 3 minutes until chicken is starting to brown on one side. Flip chicken and sausage, continue cooking for an additional 2 to 3 minutes until chicken is browned on the other side. Remove chicken and sausage from skillet, set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet, then add in peppers and onions. Cook for approximately 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in remaining ingredients, including the sausage and chicken. Toss gently to combine then cook at medium low temp for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until peppers are desired texture.