Not long ago I was really wanting muffins. I had bananas to use up, I sort of wanted peanut butter and glancing through my pantry I found chocolate chips. Yum! These flavors all work great in a smoothie together, why not in a muffin too! I quickly jumped over to Pinterest to look for peanut butter banana chocolate chip muffins and realized there really weren’t any recipes for this specific combination. I think I may have found one or two, but none of them sounded good to me.
It was at this point I realized I needed to create my own recipe and I had to do it fast! I researched a few peanut butter muffin recipes and a few banana muffin recipes to get some basic measurements and ideas for how much to add in, then I went to work experimenting. The first batch came out good but I wanted to see if I could get a bit more peanut butter flavor, so I upped the amount of peanut butter, then it seemed to overpower the recipe a bit. I’ll let you decide how much peanut butter you want to try.
After all that work, here is the peanut butter banana chocolate chip muffin recipe I came up with.
Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray muffin tin with cooking oil or place liners in muffin tin.
- Mash bananas in a medium bowl. Whisk in egg, milk, and sugars. Stir in peanut butter. (Adjust peanut butter amount to your liking) Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Combine flour mixture with banana mixture until just moistened.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter equally into each of the 12 prepared muffin cups.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into muffins comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes the remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy bananas, peanut butter, and chocolate chips? I shared my new recipe, I’d love to hear your favorites!