Valentine’s Day is just around the corner.
While I constantly tell my husband “I love you,” I was thinking there are a variety of ways I tell him it daily that communicates it so much better than words.
Sometimes it’s in a look I give him, a shared inside joke from the years we’ve spent together, smiling together at our children and so much more.
Love is not only found in the words we say, but in the actions we do. It’s like those Love is cartoons by Kim Casali and Bill Asprey that were popular when I was younger; a variety of actions showing someone how much they mean to us, often in simple ways.
In honor of love and the many ways you can show it, I wanted to create a fun list of ways you can show your special someone just how much you really do love them.
- Go window shopping. Make a mental note of the items your love has taken interest in, then go back later that night or the next day and buy one for him/her.
- If your love is known to give cards, pictures or letters to you, keep them all somewhere special, then get them out to look at and read on your anniversary, or just because.
- Hand deliver a single flower to your love at work, with a short love note attached by ribbon to the stem.
- Take a nature walk together. Make sure you hold hands while you walk.
- Go out for a picnic together. If you can picnic where you first met, even better!
- Write “I love you” on the dust on their car, or in the steam on the mirror while they shower.
- Contact a restaurant and set up a dinner complete with flowers, candles and extra special details so it is ready when you get there.
- Write love messages on sticky notes and leave them all over the house hidden where your love will find them. Examples, under the pillow, in their pocket, stuck to their cell phone.
- Make it routine to kiss each other good night every night.
- Cook a special meal for your love, or prepare a romantic meal together.
- Get up early and bring breakfast in bed. Accent the tray with a small flower in a bud vase.
- Take a walk on the beach together and write it in the sand.
- Dedicate a song to them on their favorite radio station when you know they’ll be listening.
- Serenade them with your song, or if you can’t sing, arrange for it to be played at a random time for them while you are there.
- Be spontaneous and tell them you love them and kiss them while out shopping.
- Play footsie when out for dinner.
- Invent a drink and name it after your love. Make sure to serve it to them first, then once they approve, make it a signature drink at all of your get togethers.
- When your love leaves, place a love note in their suitcase or lunchbox.
- Write love letters and send them anonymously.
- Buy a package of their favorite individually wrapped candy and leave one on their pillow every now and then.
- Write a love poem for them and read it to them either in private or on an open mic night.
- Go see a romantic movie together. Sit in the back row.
- Send a red rose to your love for the number of years, days, or weeks you’ve been together (base this one on what you can afford!)
- Surprise them by coming home early.
- Send them a text message or email telling them you love them.
- Kiss them good bye every time they leave your company.
- Learn a new massage technique and buy some massage products for a surprise home spa session when they get home from a stressful day at work.
- Keep a picture of your love in your wallet or purse.
- Send them a card that says I love you.
- Make a handmade anniversary, birthday or Valentines Day card.
- Pay attention to your love when they are talking to you. Make eye contact and respond with something relevant to let them know you are listening.
- Grab your special someone for a spin on the dance floor. Even if that dance floor is your living room and the band is the radio.
- Compliment your love. Let them know you noticed how great their hair looks, how cute their butt is in those pants, or even how much you love their smile.
- Snuggle up on the couch with a bowl of popcorn and an old, romantic movie.
- Take some time to talk about your futures together. What will you be doing in 5, 10, 15 or even 20 years together. What will your lives be like with each other.
How do you show your special someone how much they mean to you? Tell me in the comments below.