I know a lot of people ooooh and aaaaah over chocolate mixes such as peanut butter and chocolate, caramel and chocolate or even bacon and chocolate, but my favorite is hazelnut and chocolate. Don’t get me wrong, I love all the other combinations too, but there is just something about pairing chocolate with hazelnuts that gets my tastebuds excited.
I was thinking of a new cookie recipe to share and I knew I needed to do something with chocolate and hazelnuts. My answer was chocolate hazelnut blossoms. These are traditionally made with peanut butter, but I figured I could create a new spin on the concept.
Chocolate Hazelnut Blossoms
First gather up your ingredients. A half cup each of sugar, brown sugar, butter, chopped hazelnuts and Nutella or other chocolate hazelnut spread, 1 egg, one tsp each vanilla and baking soda, a quarter tsp salt, one and three quarters cup flour, additional sugar for rolling the cookie dough, and chocolate pieces to top the cookies.
Once you have your ingredients, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lay parchment paper down on your cookie sheets.
Now cream the butter with the half cup of each sugar and the chocolate hazelnut spread. I did it by hand this time with a wooden spoon, I love my wooden spoon set, but you can mix it all up in a stand mixer if it suits you better.
Once the flour is combined, mix in the hazelnuts.
Now shape the dough into one inch balls and roll in sugar, place them on the parchment paper about two inches apart.
On my first attempt to create these I thought it would be a pretty presentation to add the hazelnuts on top of the dough ball instead of incorporating it into the dough. I pressed them on top of the dough and found that they didn’t stick well and most fell off easily. It’s much easier to mix the hazelnuts into the dough. Now you don’t have to try that method! I did it for you.
Chocolate Hazelnut Blossoms
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup Nutella or other chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar reserved for rolling dough
- chocolate pieces to top cookies Hershey's Kisses, Ritter Sports, etc
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter, 1/2 each sugar and brown sugar, and hazelnut spread.
- Add in egg, salt, vanilla, and baking soda until well incorporated.
- Stir in flour until well combined.
- Mix in chopped hazelnuts.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls, then roll in reserved sugar to coat. Place 2 inches apart on paper lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for approximately 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately top with chocoalte pieces. Allow to cool on cookie sheet.
- Store in airtight container.
What is your favorite flavor to pair with chocolate? Tell me your favorites in the comments below.