Hot Chocolate is a family favorite around here. You may be familiar with some of our favorite DIY hot chocolate mixes, such as the rich and creamy hot chocolate or our peppermint hot chocolate recipe.
We wanted to take hot chocolate to another level so we decided on hot chocolate cookies. I tried one batch and failed miserably.
Without researching what other people have done with marshmallows and baking I stirred miniature marshmallows into my chocolate cookie dough, then made cookies.
Here’s a tip: don’t do that.
What happened was a melty, gooey, falling apart cookie mess. The marshmallows basically disintegrated. Even the marshmallows that were buried inside the cookies. There was nothing left of them and the cookies weren’t really cookies.
Not to be bested by baked goods I decided to try again. This time I went with cookie bars. I made the bars, then as soon as they came out of the oven I gently pressed marshmallows into the top of them. After they cooled I drizzled them with chocolate and cut them into bars.
We had a winner!
It wouldn’t be fair of me to keep this fantastic recipe all to myself so here’s our recipe for Hot Chocolate Cookie Bars!
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 4 oz semisweet baking chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degree. Line 13x9 in baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix butter and sugars until completely combined, then mix in the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and cornstarch.
- Combine dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until fully formed into a dough. Mix in the chocolate chips and press into the baking dish evenly. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- As soon as you pull the cookie bars out of the oven gently press marshmallows into the top of the bars. Cool in the baking dish for 10 to 15 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board to finish cooling.
- Once cool drizzle with melted chocolate and cut into bars.
- Store in an airtight container.